Skip to content
- Sour lemon squeezed on food is an inexpensive and palatable form of taking vitamin C which promotes Iron absorption.
- Germination and baking increases iron absorption.
- Prolonged warming of meals decreases their vitamin C content, and hence iron absorption.
- Tea and coffee form insoluble iron tannate that is not absorbed, hence it is not advisable to drink tea or coffee immediately after meals.
- Coconut milk, if used extensively in cooking inhibits iron absorption.
- When food is cooked in iron utensils, some iron is added from the utensils. When aluminium or stainless steel utensil are used, this source is lost.