- Rice – 1 Â½ cups
- Salt to taste
- Oil/ghee- 2 Tb.spoons
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Red chillies -2 dried
- Urad dal- 1 Tb.spoon
- Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) – Â½ Tea spoon
- Peanuts-Â½ cup
- Mustard seeds (optional)-Â½ Tea spoon
- Curry leaves-10-12
- Lemon juice-3 Table spoon
- Turmeric powder-Â½ Tea spoon
- Pick, wash and soak rice for about thirty minutes. Drain and then boil in plenty of boiling salted water until almost done. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a shallow pan or a kadai. Add a pinch of asafoetida. Add dried red chillies broken into two, urad dal, chana dal and methi seeds. Cook until dals change colour to light brown.
- Add peanuts and mustard seeds. Let mustard seeds crackle, then add curry leaves. Mix turmeric powder in this. Stir fry for half a minute. Add cooked rice, salt and lemon juice.
Garnish with grated coconut.(optional)