- carrots, peel & cut into long pieces – 15
- Onions chopped into big pieces- 2
- Ginger-garlic paste-1/2 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies, broken into pieces – 2
- Coriander powder-2 tsp.
- Mustard powder-1 tsp.
- Cumin (jeera) powder-1/2 tsp.
- Fenugreek (methi) powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Brown sugar (or powdered jaggery) -1 1/2 tsp.
- Lemon juice or vinegar – 3 tsp.
- Red chili powder -2 tsp.
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Salt (or to taste) -1 tbsp.
For the seasoning
- Oil – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin seeds (jeera) -1/4 tsp.
- Urad dal (black gram) -1/4 tsp.
- Methi (fenugreek) seeds- 1/4 tsp.
- Curry leaves-1 tbsp.
- Make a coarse paste of the onions and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and urad dal to it. Once the seeds splutter add asafoetida, broken red chilies and curry leaves too.
- Then add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste and sautÃ© till golden brown. Turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
- After the mixture cools, add the carrot pieces, salt, lemon juice and all other ingredients. Mix well and store in an airtight jar. Refrigeration is required.
- Allow the carrots to marinate in this mixture for 2 days. The pickle is then ready to serve. Serve with steam rice or curd (yogurt) and rice.