This tangy chutney can be used as a dip or stir-in sauce for numerous Indian snacks.
- Cleaned tamarind (Imli) -1 cup/ 200g
- Jaggery (Gur) grated- 300g
- Water-2 cups
- Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp.
- Cumin seeds(jeera) -2 tsp.
- Salt-1 tsp. (or to taste)
- Red chili powder-2 tsp.
- Black salt-1 tsp.
- Garam masala-1 tsp.
- Wash the tamarind clean.
- Place the tamarind, jaggery, sugar and water in a deep boiling pan.
- Soak for a few minutes. Put to boil for about 7-8 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Blend in a mixie (blender) till smooth.
- Strain and transfer to the pan again. Boil till thick enough to coat the back of a spoon thinly.
- Add the seasoning. Cool again.
- Store in clean airtight bottles and refrigerate.