- Rice – 1 cup
- Mixed sprouts (moath beans, red chana, moong etc.) – 1 cup
- Bay leaf – 1
- Clove (laung) – 1
- Cinnamon (dalchini) – 1 '' piece
- Cumin seeds (jeera)-Â½ teaspoon
- Onion-Â 1, finely chopped
- Ginger-green chilli paste -1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (haldi)1/4 teaspoon
- Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander-cumin seed (dhania-jeera) powder-1 teaspoon
- Oil-1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander – a handful ,for garnishing
For the rice
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onion and ginger-green chilli paste and sautÃ© till the onion turns translucent.
- Add the rice and sprouts and sautÃ© for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and salt with 2Â½ cups of hot water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.