- Potatoes (boiled and peeled and loosely mashed)-2 or 3 medium
- Cumin and mustard seeds each-1/2 tsp.
- Green chili chopped finely – to taste
- Ginger -1" piece
- Garlic(finely chopped)- 2 cloves
- Onions (chopped) – 1 medium
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp.
- Cilantro(coriander) leaves (chopped)- few stems
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice-2 tbsp.
- Besan -1 1/2 cups
- Baking Soda-1/4 tsp.
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat about two tablespoons of oil. Add mustard seeds and when the seeds start to crackle, add the cumin seeds, green chili, salt, ginger and garlic.
- Fry for a few seconds and add onions and turmeric powder. When the onions start to turn brown add cilantro and lemon juice and the potatoes. Mix well and turn off the heat. Let this mixture cool. Shape into small balls.
- Make a thick batter with Besan/Chickpea flour, salt, red chili powder, baking soda and water.
- Heat the oil for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat. When the oil is hot, Dip the potato balls into the batter and carefully drop in the oil. Turn it every four minutes and remove from oil when it turns golden brown.
- Serve with tamarind or green chutney.