Pomegranate – Nutrition facts
- Pomegranates have very high content of punicalagins, a potent anti-oxidant component found to be responsible for its superior health benefits.
- Amazingly, researches indicate that the capacity of anti-oxidant in this fruit is two or three times higher than that of red wine and green tea.
- The level of anti-oxidant is even higher than those of other fruits known to have high-levels of anti-oxidant, including blueberries, cranberries and oranges. This was attributed to the very high polyphenol content in the fruit.
- They are also a good source of vitamin B (riboflavin, thiamin and niacin), vitamin C,calcium and phosphorus. These combination and other minerals in pomegranates cause a powerful synergy that prevents and reverses many diseases.
- A new study has shown that drinking pomegranate juice frequently is extremely beneficial in fighting the hardening of arteries (atherosclerosis). It reduces the oxidation of bad LDL cholesterol which contributes to artery clogging and hardening.
- Not only does the juice significantly reduce the blood vessel damage, it is found to actually reverse the progression of this disease.
- Another study positively proved that pomegranates contain a powerful agent against cancer,particularly prostate cancer.